Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Odd Things are Happening...

Weird things are happening….

Over the past few weeks God has slowly been teaching me something that I really haven’t liked to hear.  In order to understand this one first must understand who I am.  I am a person who wants to make an impact; someone who wishes to make a change for Christ.  Once you understand that you will understand this: I get frustrated when this doesn’t happen.  That may be an understatement even.  I get really frustrated when that doesn’t happen.  Anyways here it is:

            It started last month with a roots meeting.  Jeff and I had not met to discuss the lesson for the week and we had our doubts as to the effectiveness of it.  We didn’t think it was deep enough or moving enough for the group and so with this attitude we moved forward.  We flat out told the group that we didn’t like the lesson and just like that we started.  To be blunt, it started off rough.  Everyone was distracting, people were having side conversations and it just was not going they way we had always wished for roots to run.  But in the middle something odd happened.  Not to sound cliché but it really seemed as if the Holy Spirit just randomly filled the room!  This may sound odd but the more I am in a leadership position the more I realize that the whole spirit is not only real and tangible but it is necessary when teachings God’s word.  Anyways, with that sudden change in atmosphere we continued teaching the lesson.  That is when things really started getting strange.  People started crying.  I started crying.  The lesson that we thought so lowly of was actually being effective.  There were multiple stories that I could tell about that night and I wish I could but they are not mine to share.  But all in all that night left me speechless.

            The reason I share this to you is so that you would understand as to why I claim the things I am about to claim. I was humbled and I learned this: God only works when we stop.  It is hard to comprehend but once one does God will work in wonders.  Here is the deal:  no matter how hard we try to do good there is nothing good we can do. Romans 7:15 “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.”  So often Christian leaders have great aspirations to do great things but all too often nothing gets accomplished.  This leads to frustration and irritation in the leader.  Even anger towards God.  What we need to realize, all of us, is that God does not need us to do His work, we get the privilege to and with that in mind it should change everything.  Instead of “ God what do you want me to do?” it should be “ God I am here if you wish to use me.” 
            With that in mind Psalm 46:10 is seen in a brand new light.  “Be still and know that I am God I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth”  There is a reason why God tells us to be still: It is so that we wont get in the way when He wishes to work.  And notice what will happen “ (He)  will be exalted among the nations”  This is the key that we have been missing!  He doesn’t want us to work on our own!  He wishes for us to be still and let Him work through us.  This is what I realized on that one night at roots.  Strange things happen when we lose our  idea of how God should work and humble ourselves to how He chooses to work.  No longer should we tell God in what avenues to work in or how to use us.  We should only allow God with us.  Once again it is the idea of humility. 

1 comment:

  1. I visited your blog and read posts all the way back to January 2011. I can see Christ is working in you. Praise His Name. I have added myself as a follower. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete